An exciting opportunity for a Junior Commercial Litigation Solicitor to join a ranked firm in London and work on a broad range of disputes.
The firm has been based in the City of London for more than 150 years. From their offices in the City of London, Yorkshire and Essex they provide legal services throughout England and Wales. They act for a broad range of clients, including private and public companies, developers, local authorities, funders and regulators. They are a “full service” firm with specialists in Banking, Commercial/Corporate, Litigation, Housing, Employment, Projects & Property. Over the past few years, they have grown significantly and now have approximately 250 employees.
The team deals with a broad range of disputes and has significant expertise in resolving complex commercial issues. They focus on achieving the commercial objectives of our clients, including minimizing risk and liability for costs at the outset of a dispute through to advising on the best strategy for securing the desired outcome, whether by way of litigation, negotiation or alternative dispute resolution.
They have substantial experience in all aspects of commercial dispute resolution and litigation, dealing with cases in every tier of the English court system from the County Court to the Supreme Court, together with domestic and international arbitration and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. In addition, they have acted in many overseas cases and have managed large teams within such claims. Separately we undertake privately paid criminal cases, public inquiries and inquests.
The role will comprise a mixture of general commercial litigation work, including commercial contract disputes, insolvency disputes, professional negligence claims, regulatory, criminal / inquest / inquiry and civil fraud work. An important part of the role is providing direct support and assistance to Partners in the team, whilst also helping with the management and development of more junior fee earners and contributing more widely to the team and its growth.
Main Duties and Responsibilities of the Role
- Responsible for the day to day running of files to include, but not limited, to:
- Running and managing own files, delegating to trainees and paralegals as appropriate;
- High Court and County Court Litigation as well as mediation, arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution;
- Drafting documents and assist in managing/manage the dispute resolution process;
- Supporting the partners on challenging and more complex matters as well as starting to generate a caseload of your own;
- Interact directly with clients, manage their expectations and meet their deadlines;
- Prepare and present training to clients on various aspects of the law as directed;
- To be fully involved in marketing and business development in a client focused manner;
- Organise and maintain tidy and accurate files both in hard copy and electronically;
- Provide support to the other fee earners within the department and to share knowledge as and when required;
- Follow department procedures, the SRA Handbook and Firm’s policies and procedures as detailed in the Office Manual, including LEXCEL; and
- Undertake such duties and tasks that are appropriate for the role of Solicitor such as changes in information systems and new technology as may reasonably be required.
Attributes and Skills Required
- You will have at least 1 year PQE as a Commercial Litigation Solicitor;
- You will have a strong academic background, ideally gaining a 2:1 at degree level;
- Previous experience in the High Court;
- You will enjoy client contact and have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability to prioritise workload to increase efficiency;
- You will be commercially aware, proactive and able to convey clear and concise information to clients and external organisations, which will not compromise the practice or the firm;
- A high attention to detail to produce work / documentation which is consistently of a high standard;
- To have a flexible approach to work to ensure client deadlines are always met and clients are communicated with on a consistent and regular basis;
- You will be happy to undertake work with minimal supervision;
- To be familiar with Word, Outlook and Internet applications.
Please don't hesitate to contact Paul Burgin on 0203 355 2262 or Paul@hunterslegal.com