An outstanding opportunity for a Construction Solicitor to join a leading, international law firm in London.
Our client is a city-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, they provide a full-service integrated offering.
Their clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. They also act for many high net worth individuals.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities they look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics their people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full.
As a top 20, real estate law firm acknowledged for the breadth of our practice, they help deliver large, complex deals ranging from major commercial acquisitions to substantial regeneration initiatives, luxury leisure, and retail premises, and private and social housing.
Construction is core to what they do, and their team enjoys a formidable reputation across the industry. Their work focuses on UK contentious construction matters which is broad scope and sees them acting for both private and public sector developers. Their experience extends across all the major contract forms (JCT, NEC, ICE, FIDIC, PPC and GC Works) as well as PFI and bespoke contracts.
Where you'll work
As part of a dedicated 23 strong national contentious construction department, you can also expect to work alongside colleagues on work which is being led out of their other UK offices as well as, working closely with their London real estate practice in advising developers, major international and domestic contractors, consultants and public sector bodies such as central and local government, and social housing providers. They are now seeking an Associate to join the team.
What you'll be doing
- Alternative dispute resolution, including adjudication, mediation, the resolution of claims under the pre-action protocol for construction and engineering disputes and litigation
- Dispute avoidance and risk management
- Contractual interpretation
- Professional negligence
- Domestic projects in the main but with the opportunity to become involved in international matters
- Play an active role in business development and work to raise the firm's profile and help win new business
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in other offices and other practice areas, and travel as required
- Participate in firm-wide and departmental training sessions
- Initiate, build and maintain effective client relationships
- Ensure files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures
What you'll need
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at Associate level. In particular for this role, they require:
- Drive, enthusiasm and vision
- Proven ability to manage files and excellent time management
- Flexibility and can-do approach
- Excellent communication skills with a collaborative approach
- Demonstrable passion for business development
- Qualified solicitor with 3-5 years' experience in contentious construction
- Knowledge of JCT, FIDIC and NEC and adjudication
- Experience of adjudication and UK contentious construction work
- Excellent academics and training
- Experience of fire safety/cladding disputes is desirable
- An understanding of the Building Safety Bill and the implications for the construction sector
- As well as experience of working for social and private developers.
Please do not hesitate to contact Paul Burgin on 0203 355 2262 or Paul@hunterslegal.com