Our client is seeking a junior Corporate and Commercial Associate to join their internationally recognised law firm in Central London.
The firm has a long history of acting for prominent, high net worth individuals, and for entrepreneurs. Although the firm now has 11 practice areas, and acts for many corporates and large institutions, there is still a strong focus on acting for individuals, in relation to their personal and business interests.
Although it is one of the smaller practice areas in the firm, the Corporate and Commercial department has grown at a steady rate for the last 5 years, and has built a particular reputation and profile for its work in acting on investment deals for founders, angel investors and for VCs. In addition, the department deals with real-estate finance work and banking (working in conjunction with the Real Estate team at the firm), a mix of corporate and commercial work, and has a particular specialism in technology work (in terms of corporate transactions, but also commercial/contractual work). The department is known in the firm for the high quality of its lawyers, its lack of hierarchy and the closeness of the team.
The corporate team also works closely with other growing departments of the firm – in particular, Real Estate, Private Client, Immigration, Employment and Dispute Resolution. Experience and a desire to play a key role in nurturing cross-departmental relationships is a must.
The team is now eager to expand its strength and breadth, by hiring an additional corporate commercial associate. The successful candidate will be expected to assist on a variety of corporate transactional and commercial matters, including in relation to real estate finance. The role will also involve assisting the fee earners in the Corporate & Commercial team with respect to aspects of their caseload with which assistance is required.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting with large-scale corporate and banking transactions, and running own smaller-scale transactions, with a particular focus on investment work (acting for angel investors, founders/companies, and VCs) and generally on working with entrepreneurs and early-stage ventures
- Taking ownership of, and working through large technical documents
- Negotiating all or discrete aspects of corporate and banking transactions, and drafting the relevant documentation
- Drafting a wide variety of commercial agreements
- Liaising with other lawyers and legal representatives
- Taking the lead on verification, due diligence work and other legal processes including:
- Reviewing and processing due diligence materials
- Managing access to a transactional dataroom and managing the flow of information; and managing other fee earners and support staff in relation to the same.
- Providing administrative support on transactions to the team but also providing active back up on transactions, e.g. checking and chasing information
- Company secretarial work where required and some drafting such as minutes of meetings, share transfers and resolutions
- Attending meetings, running discrete aspects of meetings, taking notes, and following up on issues
- Managing other fee earners and support staff in relation to documentation bibles, document lists etc; and
- Researching points of law and other factual issues, using legal databases, textbooks, and other appropriate sources
- Assisting with ad hoc administrative and legal tasks under instruction
Please do not hesitate to contact Paul Burgin on 0203 355 2262 or Paul@hunterslegal.com